Thursday, April 5, 2007

My thoughts on sports

I want to start this blog by explaining where I am coming from and giving some of my thoughts. That way later on when I start blogging on various issues in the sporting world I'll have established some views in public.

I have been a sports fan as long as I have been alive.

I was an all city point guard in high school until I blew my knee out being bridged by a guy who will soon be playing in the NFL.. So I put an inordinate amount of importance on running a team and balance.

I was a pretty good tennis player as well and taught swim team...

Michael Jordan is my favorite athlete of all time with Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson coming in close seconds.

I think that Peyton Manning is a choker as evidenced by his failure to win at Tennesse 4 years in a row followed by Tee Martin a never-was leading them to the title the next year.

I think Tom Brady is the most underrated player in the NFL, and his true greatness won't be known until he retires with 5 or 6 rings.

My favorite sports teams of all time are the 2002 Angels in baseball, the 2004 Pistons in basketball, and the 2001 Patriots in foorball. All of them are in my opinion the essence of teams playing as greater wholes, rather than the sum of their parts.

I hate hearing about Brett Favre, and his every year retirement hostage taking of the Packers.

I don't watch baseball until the playoffs come around...

I think that Barry Bonds is everything that's wrong with sports and if I were Bud Selig, I'd wait until he got to 754 home runs and then suspend him for life Pete Rose style.

I think Pete Rose gambled on his own team, and should be suspended for life.

I like the Vikings, the Patriots, the Nash-led Suns, and the Red Sox.

I think Robert Horry has had the career I would most like to emulate. Never complaining and ALWAYS coming through in the clutch.

I think Kobe Bryant is as close as we will ever get to another Jordan.

I also think in his prime 88 Jordan where he won the MVP, The defensive player of the year award, the All-star game MVP, and led the league in scoring at 35 ppg, would beat in his prime Kobe 21-14. And Kobe only gets 14 if he makes every shot he takes.

I think isaiah Thomas is the best pure point guard of all time. Even better than Magic.

I think Magic Johnson and Larry Bird saved the NBA.

I think Dr J saved it first.

I think Bill Russell is the second best player of all time and the greatest winner in the history of sports.

I think Phil Jackson is overrated.

I think Shaq is overrated as a player and underated as an ambassador of the game.

I think Jim Brown is the best running back of all time followed by Barry Sanders, and Walter Payton.

I think Joe Montana is the best QB of all time followed closely by John Elway and Dan Marino.

My fav sports movie is The great white hype a boxing movie with Damon Wayans and Woody Harrelson.

The Spurs are the most boring team I have ever watched in my life.

Dwayne Wade is great, Lebron is overated.

No one appreciates Allen Iverson

Dominique Wilkins is the most underated player of all time.

Larry Bird talked more shit than any player ever followed by Michael Jordan and Gary payton.

Rick Reilly and Bill Simmons are the best sportswriters i have ever read.

Peter King is annoying.

PTI and Around the Horn are my favorite sports shows.

A-Rod needs to get the sand out of his vagina and realize that the other side of making 250 Million dollars over 10 years is that people in the media expect you to win championships. It's kind of like a job....

I would love to be a back up quarterback for the Colts.

Vince Young is the most domainant football player I have ever seen, purely in terms of impact on a game. I watched him beat USC single handidly and then watched him beat the texans in the nfl. I've never seen a football player win a game alone.

I hate face and chest painters.

I think you are only allowed to wear jerseys until you are 15.

I think that women's sports will get the same amount of attention as mens when they stop having pro championship basketball games ending in the 50s.

I hate soccer, but watch the world cup religiously for the fan atmosphere... You NEVER see games with that kind of energy in any other sports.

4 comments:

Jaz said...

Good first post but I disagree about Isiah being the best pure point. In terms of pure point think John Stockton though Magic is my favorite.

Joe Montana, product of a great system cough see Steve Young. Put Peyton in the same system and he has more SuperBowls. Montana was great though.

Jim Brown is the most blue collar back ever, Sanders the most athletically gifted, Emmit 2nd most blue collar and Walter a combination of it all.

Best college bball teams I've seen of all time: 90 UNLV, 96 Kentucky,
76 Indiana, 92 Duke.
Where does Florida rank? Top 10 maybe but not top 5 like some want to believe.

Dante Love said...

You don't know sports lil one. Barry Bonds is the greatest and Peyton Manning is one of the best QB's in history......I can tell you never played football or baseball talking like you talk about these sports....stick to tennis :)

Dr John Bender said...

Loves Barry and Isiah?

Favourite NBA team is the 2004 Pistons?

Dislikes soccer and LeBron?

You may be from Detroit, sir.

(Then again, there is no talk about the Wings or Tigers, so maybe not.)

Tommyjoebillyjimbob said...

Peyton choked again today. I love it when chokers choke if they are loved by people by putting up big numbers but not getting it done when it counts.